It’s been quite the journey. I started Part-Time Music about two and a half years ago while I was an engineering grad student in Denmark. Although a lot has changed geographically with me (Denmark -> Germany -> Texas -> Oregon -> Utah), the site has remained mostly the same since its inception — opting to stay with the “default” wordpress template throughout chieftly due to my ever-shrinking free time and my lack of web design skills. For me, the blog has never been about readership, or page hits, or ad $$ (the only one up is for an iPhone app my bro made), it’s been about the music. It’s always been about the music. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all the creative minds out there in the world doing things I know I could never do. With the site, all I ever wanted to do is piece together a few kind words to say about all the artists I’ve grown to love over the years and give a little praise (albeit a relatively small amount in this giant blog-o-world we live in) and maybe provide some motivation for them to keep going.
Anyways, enough sentimental stuff — let’s get on to the freebies! To celebrate this 300th post achievement as well as my recent move to Utah, I put together a collection of vinyl that I think best represents what my blog is about (starting upper left, moving clockwise):
- Grouper // He Knows, He Knows, He Knows 7” // Incredibly super limited self-made vinyl by Portland’s dark experimentalist Liz Harris
- Woods // I Was Gone 7” // Limited, one-time pressing (out of 1,500) of this Brooklyn psych-folk group
- Sleater-Kinney // The Hot Rock LP // Sleater-Kinney is one of my favorite bands of all-time. This is one of my favorite albums of theirs (released in 1999, pretty sure this is a repress as it’s brand new in package).
- Kurt Vile // He’s Alright 7” // First release on Matador Records by Philly lo-fi rocker Kurt Vile. A must have for any KV fan.
- Dirty Projectors & Castanets // Unusual Animals Vol. 2 // A split 10” celebrating the Maned Three-Toed Sloth by experimental rockers The Dirty Projectors and alt country-ers Castanets. Released in 2006 on Sufjan Steven’s Asthmatic Kitty Records. Probably the most random release I’ve seen.
- Hanoi Janes // Young & Dumb 7” // This five-song 7” (!!) is the second they’ve released for Captured/Tracks. Love this band so much…
- Big Boi // Sir Lucious Left Foot… // Who wouldn’t want the best rap record released this year? (Alternate cover, limited edition!)
So yeah, that’s it! A lot of limited releases, a lot of my favorite bands, a lot of random (yet cool) stuff. Mad props to Slowtrain here in Salt Lake City for having a lot of these releases in stock.
To win, just retweet this here message and/or leave an inspiring comment below (US residents are only eligible to win, if you leave a comment be sure to include a valid e-mail addy so I can get back to you). Thanks again to all my long-time readers and cheers to my new fans! Hope you find something you like!